It's a nice crisp Fall day here in the Bay Area, and I was thinking on the way back from dropping my son off at daycare about the time of year, and the fact that it's been a long time since I had any sort of normal life. I started making a mental list of things I haven't done in over a year that I would normally enjoy doing.
Here's what I came up with so far:
- Eaten dinner at a nice restaurant with friends
- Gone to a museum, art show, play, or any other cultural event
- Had wine, or actually any alcohol at all. (I don't really drink in general, but still...)
- Done anything with nature - walk in the woods, watch the sunset, etc.
- Gotten a tan
- Any sort of sport - like playing basketball or golf (two specific activities I enjoy)
- Traveled anywhere outside a 30 mile radius... no planes either
- Gotten an oil change for my car
- Interacted with other adults on a daily basis (like at work...)
- Earned more money than I spent a month (this is of course related to the above)
- Read a new book, cover to cover (I've re-read exactly one old one, and started some others, but they don't count)
- Learned anything truly new - programming languages don't count
What the hell have I been doing with my time then? I have *no* idea. Eating HoHos and watching "How It's Made" on the Discovery Channel a lot apparently. I'm going to have to get myself out of the house more. How about you? Has time slipped away from you lately?