What luck! I'm heads down trying to grok the steps I need to take to start up an SMS/MMS service (for the "Mobile Audio Guide" idea that I left in my comments earlier) and this pretty detailed article about SMS showed up on Sun's Wireless Java portal. Nice.
I don't have enough understanding to write a summary, but if you'd like to follow along, check out these sites:
- Vodafone's Via Developer Portal
- Nokia's Messaging Tools (including the new MMS Dev Suite released just a few days ago).
- Nokia: How to create MMS Services
- Other Nokia Messaging Docs
- Nokia's MMS Forum/Knowledge Base
- Making Sense of Cellular
When I have a better idea how to set everything up I'll post them here. Really - I have some amazing blank spots in terms of how to automatically send/receive SMS/MMS messages from my web server. I think I understand the tech specs, I just can't figure out just yet where to sign up and who I have to pay. The Vodafone site looks like a good place to start.